Friday, April 07, 2006

The garter Snake -- Official Snake of Massachusetts

Hi everyone-






I just about fell off my chair when I saw the following:

"The Senate approved today house bill 3453 which made the garter snake the official reptile of Massachusetts."

Wow!

Now that is something that I need my elected officials spending time on....no we don't have a problem funding our school systems, or, or, universal health care funding...or, or, I don't know something other than this must be more important.

Kevin

Update: Here is the article about the introduction of the bill.

Update:Apparently exiting governor Mitt Romney signed it into law January 2007.

5 comments:

Kevin Davis said...

Hmmm Boston Creme....

Kevin

Kevin Davis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey, you know that your state government hardly spent any time on that bill. Just so you know, 2 9 year old boys (I think 9) were doing a extracurricular project for school and thought the state should have an official reptile. You shouldn't complain about things until you do research them completely. What you said is almost like going to an elementary school and complaining that they're wasting time teaching children ... I mean, what's the point right?

-JP

Kevin Davis said...

JP

Thanks for the point that some school children did the research. And I have no problem teaching children how important it is to be involved in government. And what I am complaining about is the fact that my government spent time debating this. I mean take a look how much time was spent on this. They even had a public hearing. Wow!

Anonymous said...

You know,I don't think it was a total waste of time. It sets ground work for environmental protection. After all, now that the garter snake in the OFFICIAL snake, it needs to be protected, in order to protect the snake you need to protect the habitat range and its food source. so if you were a snake or person concerned over the state of the environment this could be a good thing.